Academics - Follow my heart, study hard, network, think ahead.
- GPA is really important.
- Make sure my teachers know me.
- Pick a passion and excel at it.
- Take classes that truly interest me.
- Be actively intellectually curious.
- Focus, especially in freshman year.
- Stick to my major, but remember that it's much easier to change my mind here than after I've begun my career.
- Listen to what I want out of life.
- Learning is something that will be a part of me for a lifetime, not just a way to make grades.
- Study from the end of last class to dinner.
- Study for GRE early if I'm looking toward graduate school.
- During breaks, ask people in my field to tell me about their careers -- ask questions, listen, follow them around.
Extracurricular - Take all opportunities.
- Get involved in things that have to do with my studies and/or help my soul grow. Do it because they have meaning for me and are rewarding in themselves, not because of external benefits. Really dedicate time to them.
- Expose myself to diversity -- Take full advantage of UGA's size. International Coffee Hour.
- Try being a leader because in some ways, it's easier than being a follower -- college is perfect for gaining leadership experience I can relate to throughout life.
- Spend a summer outside of Georgia.
- Give back to my community.
- Co-op/intern/work -- nobody wants to be my first employer after college.
- Conduct informational interviews with employers.
- Habitually check out UGA's master calendar.
Personal - Explore, be cautious of whom I befriend closely.
- Don't hook up with the first person I kind of like.
- Go to performances/exhibits/games.
- iPods are for exercise and playing in the car, not for walking around campus.
- Physically explore UGA and Athens.
- Choose close friends wisely.
- Take lots of pictures and videos.
- Meet new people in all situations.
- Be myself -- never sacrifice my values to be with any group.
Miscellaneous- Save my money for the big, big things.
- Be careful what I put up on the Internet.
General - Enjoy every second, always remember what I'm for, stretch myself, have heart.- Influence.
- Enjoy every moment; what a luxury it is to simply be asked to learn about the world, about myself, and about life. I have the freedoms without the responsibilities of adult life.
- Think long-term when making decisions.
- When you assume something, you make an ASS of U and ME.
- Study hard, play hard.
- Set goals I can accomplish one day at a time.
- Remember who I am, what I stand for, and why I'm attending UGA -- remember why I'm at UGA.
- Do things that I would never do (all within my moral limits) -- don't be afraid of new things.
- Early is on time, on time is already late, and late is unacceptable.
- Develop creativity -- "Is there a different way to do this?" "Can I try something completely different to solve this problem?"
- Take every opportunity, even if it seems trivial/useless at the time.
- Keep graduation day in my mind -- what kind of emotions do I want to feel that day?
- Adventurous spirit, sincere enthusiasm, courage to pursue my passion, genuine kindness.
- Planning + Decisive action => Dreams.
Wow, I think I've had enough advice to last me a couple of years.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading through these. I'll be sure I keep these in mind as well. Thanks (:
ReplyDelete