There are so many activities going on designed just to make people get acquainted. In my head are a billion first names and first names only. I've met about five Katies and three Sarahs and a couple Hannahs and some Brittanys and a Laura and a Joyce and a couple Tylers and a Curtis and... they're really just floating around in my head. It's nearly impossible to keep them all together. (Oh, see, my roommate Caitlin (whom I actually know the last name of) just informed me that there's a coloring party going on down the hall. Myers is so special...)
I'm sure once classes start, I will remember why we're living here in the first place and why we're all getting acquainted with each other. But as for now it just feels like some huge summer camp. A kind of a pointless (as in, there is no focus like "orchestra" or "Latin" or...) summer camp with an endless number of people and a million faces to learn. It's interesting like I said above, but when you are around people all the time you can't think. And thinking is essential. And these days it's been to where I almost feel bad when I'm by myself, like meeting new people every possible second is the purpose of my life (they really make you feel like that here), and I'm happy to finally be thinking and recording the thoughts.
People here are generally good-looking. I don't know how the girls all manage to look so put-together all the time, even in sneakers and gym clothes. A lot of the guys here are a step-down version of SD. Everyone here is so friendly and nice, but for some reason I feel much more comfortable talking and hanging around with guys than with girls. I feel that they don't judge as much, and they're generally funnier. I miss laughing hard... it's going to take me some time to find UGA-versions of Angie, Wonjo, or Bryan. They could make me crack up any time, any day. And it's going to take me some time to find shoulders to lean on, shoulders to cry on, people to freak out about schoolwork with, etc. See, I just answered my own questions by writing. I'm getting acquainted with this many people because I would like to find people who can be the above friends and whom I can be a friend for. Duh, Stacey... nothing complicated here.
I decided that the symphony orchestra here is not for me. Why? First of all, I won't get in. I haven't had time to sit and think (I only got started thinking today because I was sitting in a deserted restroom. TMI? Too bad...), so have I had time to sit and practice? Nope. And five hours of weekday rehearsals won't work for me. That's like ASYO, and I actually plan to study this year. Philharmonia sounds good. The whole no-audition thing and the two-hour rehearsal each week sounds like just enough music in my life to keep me sane.
Food here is too good, too good.
It's weird. This morning as I was making my bed I thought, "Hey, I haven't talked to my mom in a while." You know, just like I haven't talk to my brother in a while. Just like I haven't talked to many people in a while. Somehow the people you haven't talked to in a while just meld into one category: people you haven't talked to in a while, regardless of the cause or the extent or the possibility of actually talking to them in the future. Interesting?
Mommy, thank you.
i totally understand that feeling about college. enjoy your new student orientation or whatever you guys have to get freshman acquainted with the people around them :]
ReplyDeletetry out new things, because college is when you get to explore interests you didn't really have time for. and always remember that first impressions are really poor indicators of people - i learn this time and time again when i find that people are really not who they seem to be at first! :)
i agree with what you say about "people you haven't talked to." it's hard to keep in touch with the people who aren't around you, to have them understand exactly what you mean, exactly what you're experiencing. it takes a lot of time and effort, and i hope that you'll be able to keep the close friendships that you've had.
i'm excited for your first year hahaha. please keep updating :)
-christine
Uh... a UGA version of Angie?!
ReplyDeleteYOU WILL NEVER FIND ANOTHER VERSION OF ME ANYWHERE, ANYTIME!!!!
In other words... please don't replace me!! :(
And dude, I'm the complete opposite. Usually, I tend to get along with guys a lot better than girls, but here at Tech, I found that I have yet to make a single guy friend. Whereas in the female department, I made pleeeenty. But it's just so hard, what with most of the Tech guys that I met here being all awkward and quiet whenever a girl walks in the room. :/
"girls at tech are treated like gold because they don't want you to leave." oft-repeated fact of life. :]
ReplyDeletei thought of adding something after reading you+angie's comment. in high school, my closest friends were girls, but i always felt more comfortable hanging around guys. in college, i'm discovering that, especially in a church fellowship, girlfriends are absolutely essential to growth. just because... there are things that boys won't understand when you need someone to:] and i'm finding that even though i have almost all my classes with my guy friends and rarely see girls. ever. bahhh engineering.
in any case, sisters before misters.