One of the goals I set in August was to save money for the big things. Darn, I don't remember any big thing I've done with my money, and it's all gone. I guess that failed. It's so weird how small $50 seems when you have $400, compared to the $50 when you only have $20.
Then I got to thinking, how I spent that money is exactly how I've been living. Sacrificing big good things for small, divided good things. Going for the immediate, small happinesses at the price of a big, unusual happiness. For example, each time I eat a sugar cookie at O-House I feel a small pleasure. But if I had kept myself from those sugar cookies (or any other sugary dessert), I probably would have maintained my weight, and in the end, weighing (ha) those two outcomes, of course I would rather have the unchanged weight. Or if I were dead set on this, I could've gotten my dad a drum set, and I would have willingly skipped little gifts for others because getting Dad a drum set would have been cooler than all of others combined.
Priorities... priorities... Last semester I've been focusing on priorities of how to spend my time. While that's good, there are so many more kinds... where to spend money, what to eat (or not)... what, why do I only have two more? Anyway, I get the point. So... resolution 2010: sacrifice small pleasures for really big pleasures. Try it... just for a year. If I like it, I stick with it. If not, ditch it. But for a year you have to try. Such a cliche goal... but really, pretty hard to accomplish. This'll take a lot of planning and restraint and careful decisions. But do it. You can risk one year in your life.
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment