Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Discipline and Doctrine

Why this four-hour nap was necessary, I don't know.  It wasn't.

I've got to get my life together before school starts.  Sleep.  Exercise.  Work.  In that order.  I won't survive otherwise.  The consequences of this summer's lack of discipline will be scary if I don't fix things ASAP.  Oh, before those three, God.

"Some people regard discipline as a chore.  For me, it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly." - Julie Andrews

Speaking of which, I feel like I haven't gone to church in a month.  I honestly feel terrible.  Well, a better description would be that I feel nothing, spiritually dead, hence terrible.  I partly blame myself for being prejudiced and closed-minded and try to see the good in Catholic masses, but a bigger part of me just develops greater empathy and reverence for Martin Luther each Sunday.  I can go on and list all the things that, as someone raised in Protestantism (I hate categorize Christianity this way), I see wrong with this Catholic church and Catholic churches in general.  I hate to sound so judgmental of a group who I'm supposed to consider my brothers and sisters, but I can't help but feeling like so much of what Catholic churches do is a disgrace to Christianity, which is discouraging because it is supposed to be the more original branch, and it makes me wonder about Christianity in general.  I know I don't know all that much about Catholicism.  I'm merely making observations as an outsider sitting in on masses.  I'm sure the "insiders" wouldn't be insiders if they didn't see the good and whole light of their church... but yeah, for now I can go on and list everything that irks me each Sunday.

If I've offended anyone, that wasn't my intention, I apologize.  I can't say I'm trying to see the other side's point of view, though.  Well, I'd love to listen to somebody talk about what they love about their Catholic church and doctrines.  I don't think anyone who reads this is Catholic, so I'll ask my stepmom about it sometime.

Back to my main point, I've got to get my life together!  I'm thinking that maybe this Sunday, as the last one in East Cobb, Alex and I will go to our home church.

2 comments:

  1. Omg.
    OMGOMGOMGOMG
    Okay so I said we had to hang out before you moved to Korea....but I didn't know you were leaving so soooon :(((((( poooo. Either way. We're seeing each other again. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Stace? You're moving to Korea? And btw, I'm Catholic, but to be fair, I never read your blog, so I guess it makes sense for you not to think of me ;)
    I can't say I wasn't offended, when you went off on the Catholic church...especially since I've attended many Baptist services, and even though they are different and I acknowledge it's out of my comfort zone, I do it for my stepmom's family who I've grown to love. Begrudgingly, of course. But I guess I have come to accept the differences in light of the fact that it is the same God and the same Jesus, and because of that, it can't be any less than wonderful right?

    ReplyDelete