Saturday, September 18, 2010

Every Second

In July, I wrote about our broken air conditioning.  "Ugh, everything is so annoying.  I totally took air conditioning for granted."

I remember how stifling it was.  I remember how sweaty we were.  I remember how annoying everything was.

At the very moment that I was realizing I had taken something for granted, I was taking something else for granted.  That staircase.  That staircase that took exactly seven steps up for the atmosphere to get stifling, exactly ten if you bent down as you walked up.  Alex's room with the big dino head with our family on it.  My bed, my first bed!  I don't care if I have to live in that heat and humidity, I would love for that house to still be home.

Each second, each second of 99% your life will be something you'll miss in the future.  At least I will of mine.  Today and yesterday, when things seem stressful and I daydream of everything but the present, I should remember that someday, maybe even just a couple of months later, I would love to live a day in this exact life over again.  Every second we pass by will become such a treasure, even if they look dreadful while right in front of us.  So I'm remembering to take time to recognize what is wonderful tonight.  And to refrain from complaining, because in retrospect, it will all seem a waste---a waste of a wonderful, irrevocable time with things that last only a while.

2 comments:

  1. that's so beautiful and true!
    helps me remember how precious each day is. :)
    thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Christine. This is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete