Sunday, April 10, 2011

ADDicted?

My zero ability to focus today is making me wonder... Could I have ADD?!?

It's terrible.  I think I'm addicted to Google.  I'll have my math homework open and in front of me, then I'll start thinking about something completely unrelated -- come to a small question in my head, like, "I wonder how many geology majors Yale has," "I wonder what ticks look like close-up," "I wonder what curry powder is made up of," and "I wonder what stannous fluoride (ingredient in toothpaste) is."  Then I will proceed to Google each question as it comes to my head, and inevitably get sidetracked to some other topic.  As long as I'm in front of a computer (as is the case when I'm doing math homework that requires a computer), I will keep doing that almost subconsciously, only to realize all that I've done (or lack thereof) after hours have passed.  I've distracted myself in other ways, too, of course, but it's been the worst with Google.  Is this some new problem that many people in the modern age are facing, or do I have a special problem?

It's certain that technology has made the world more and more distracting (and distracted).  I love and hate this wealth of info, as I'm sure everybody else (except for Julian Assange, perhaps) does.  I especially love PatrickJMT (Just Math Tutorials) videos on YouTube.  But I think it's sad that I didn't have to make a new math friend or an Indian culture / cooking friend to get the above answers.  Hm... I digress.  You see what I mean?!

Forget this, I'm going back to my math homework.

2 comments:

  1. I went to a lecture with this guy last week...your post reminded me of what he said about technology.

    http://www.facebook.com/thefacebookeffect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think of me and you'll get back on task :P

    ReplyDelete