Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Basil Babies

I became a basil mom on July 26th.  Got little seedlings from a friend who had too many!

10 seedlings in egg carton on my windowsill, shortly after they arrived.  Notice Molly and Bob, the biggest ones!
The night they arrived, in their new homes.  Narrowed it down to 8 seedlings.
4 days later -- Molly and Bob are on the right
8/2 -- just one week after arrival!
8/4 -- so fast they grow.  Notice Kelly on the right has been chewed up by something mysterious :(
Today, two weeks after arrival -- The repotting a few days ago helped!  The little ones are thriving on their own, and so are Molly and Bob.  Kelly, the biggest one on the rightmost pot, has been decimated by a mysterious pest and is slowly trying to recover. :(
Molly and Bob close-up!  They are so big and shiny today.  They've come a long way in just two weeks.  I think I will eat some of Molly in the next week =)
Nothing can replace fresh basil in your pasta!  There is nothing else I'd rather be growing right now.  Theses babies have been a huge source of joy in the past couple of weeks.  They have been growing so well despite my (unintentionally) harmful gardening, and I feel so blessed!  Growing these have made me think deeply about nature every day, and it's like having a very low-cost, low-maintenance, environmentally-friendly pet that smells and tastes good.  I think everybody should try growing an edible plant at least once.

Stay tuned for more basil updates!  This is only the beginning...

PS  You can click on the pictures to zoom in and admire more of their beauty!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Stacey, you will be a tremendous mother someday.

    "low-cost, low-maintenance, environmentally-friendly pet that smells and tastes good"....fabulous description lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, cute, cute!! Can't wait til you branch out and become a regular urban gardener. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's so cute that you named each plant.. hehe :)

    ReplyDelete