Saturday, October 22, 2011

Music Genres

I've been taking a History and Analysis of Rock Music class this semester.  I have a better understanding of rock's types and (fascinating) roots, but I don't have a newfound higher respect for it.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy rock music (and its roots, especially soul, funk, and Motown now...), but respect is different.  Most rock, like pop, is just so... ephemeral?

I do love jazz.  I respect jazz.  Which is weird, because with all its improvisations it is even more "ephemeral."  But I think I respect it more because I am not good at improvising (especially with a group? My goodness) and a good live performance just makes my jaw drop (figuratively).  It's also so abstract.  I think that's what I like about it.  Especially in instrumental jazz, nothing but the title is labeled, and everything else is a just pure juicing-out of feelings, thoughts, and whims through sounds and motions.  Good vocal jazz is amazing too, especially with great scat singing (lyrics are so overrated, ha).  Usually you have to know a good bit about something to love it, but I know almost nothing about jazz (I would love to take a jazz history class, or jazz piano lessons, dang!), and I still absolutely love it.

And of course, there is classical music, which is the almighty genre.  It's like Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel, whereas rock/pop/etc. are like cartoons (cartoons can be great -- these analogies are purely personal!)... I don't know what kind of visual art jazz corresponds to.  Anyway, I have to enjoy and respect classical music a whole lot because I have been learning it my whole life.

Okay, take-home points:  Rock music can only get so respectable on my list, no matter how much I learn about it.  Jazz is great, even though I know so little about it.  Classical music will always have the top spot.  Rock, pop, country, all those other 3-minute-radio-style genres are roughly in the same group to me. (Who invited this snob?)

One thing I want to and should explore:  opera!  I've never been to one.  La Boheme is being done at school soon... I hope to make it!

Okay, enough, I'm going to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment