I hear a calling. And it's not from a particular role in the world. It's a calling from a place. I have to go back out West as soon as I can. Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming, California, Arizona, wherever. I have been struck with the American West in June and obsessed with it ever since. All I know is that whatever I do, whatever passion I pursue, I want to do it out there where the mountains are high, the air is dry, and the view endless.
Perhaps I am not allowing myself to get to know the South enough. The depths of the forests, the current of the rivers, the mist-shrouded old mountaintops. I will, I will soon enough. But in the meantime, I can't stop daydreaming about what's out there on the other side.
I wonder if this is the kind of calling that my mother felt after visiting the U.S. Soon after our 10-day summer vacation through California, Arizona, and Nevada, my parents started planning to get our family back here. In her mid-30s, it was her first time in a foreign country, and even before our trip ended, she said, "Let's come live here." And we did come back, just a year afterwards. My parents didn't know what they would do for a living after leaving everything behind... Reckless surely, but I think I might understand now why they came. They heard a calling from this country.
I think I hear one, too...
With this realization I might very well cry on my next Grand Canyon trip. Back at where it all started...
Monday, September 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment