Just because I wanted exercise, I walked the Birchmore Trail for the first time two weekends ago. It might be my favorite trail I have walked in Athens. When you go across the road (I think it's Gran Allen Dr) and back into the woods, that's where the good stuff begins. At one point you come to the top of a small ravine and you find yourself in sort of a big hall surrounded by big trees all over. Sunlight streaming, birds chirping, trees rustling and swaying in the distance. There I took in the forest and thought, "Man, I only have so much time to see and feel this beauty. Life's too short to spend indoors." Which is precisely how I finally decided for sure to go on a 2-night camping trip next weekend. Fall is beautiful. And short-lived. Just like life.
I think I would have liked to be a Native American back in the day. Like Pocahontas or Sacajawea. Except I actually have never watched Pocahontas. But I do know a good bit about Sacajawea because in fifth grade, I dressed up as Sacajawea and told people about myself for a big project. Also, I really enjoyed reading Undaunted Courage in high school, and that book (being about the Lewis and Clark expedition) had a lot of Sacajawea stuff in it. Or really, I would have liked to a Native American before we (outsiders) knew them. Camp out all the time, revere nature, etc.
Forgive my writing, I'm really tired. Just spent a very good time indoors at the Georgia Theatre watching the Punch Brothers perform.
Friday, October 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment