Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Enough Productivity for the Day

What a day.  Got four hours of sleep, took a big midterm, came home around 4:00, then in a strange sleep-deprived burst of focus and motivation, I finished and submitted an internship application I have been "working on" for three months.  On top of that, after a satisfying evening nap, I began to continue my graduate-program searching journey.  But of course that would be too good -- I soon stumbled into the magnetic field of Facebook and found myself going through field school pictures, reminiscing those mountain hikes.  And thinking about how EXCITING (!!!!!!!!!!!) it is that I will be leaving for Arizona on Sunday!!!  To be honest, I don't know what the heck is in Tucson.  Cactus, I imagine -- my excitement just momentarily shriveled -- and sand, and dust?  Plus, I will be indoors almost all of the time.  But the thought of just going back out West does it for me.  If it's out there, it's gotta be cool.  Thinking about merely breathing in some dry air is literally making my palms sweat with excitement.

------------

Last night, as I was looking over the definition of "precipitation" in my Surficial Processes notes, I was reminded of a little picture book I really loved as a kid.  My hazy memory says it was titled 무지개는 왜 생길까요? or Why Do Rainbows Form?  And it had a tiger explaining various elements of precipitation, including snowflakes, raindrops, and rainbows.  It was from that book I learned that when water vapor condenses and gets heavy, it falls to the ground as rain.  And here I was in college, learning the same concept.  But building on that to learn so much more about precipitation... how to measure it, how it travels through the ground, how it affects weathering of the Earth, how that is related to tectonics.  Now, I have grown up and come so far in education as to help produce new knowledge about nature as a scientist.  When I reached that thought, the sudden recall of the memory of that book became so precious.  I wanted to find it on Amazon (from the illustrations, I could tell even as a child that it was a foreign book) or Google Images and post a picture of it on here.  But I couldn't find it.  I wanted to ask someone who may know the exact title.  I wanted to talk to someone and confirm that this book wasn't a figment of my imagination.  I wanted to call and thank the person who got me that book.  I wanted to call the person who got me all these great science picture books and encyclopedias and encouraged me to learn as much as I can, because I grew up in a family that could afford it, unlike hers.  I wanted to let her in on all the exciting research I am learning about and talk to her about how hard it is to believe that I am already finishing up college.  I want to reminisce with her about the day that she dressed me and patted my head, saying, "You're now already a third grader."

This is where it becomes extremely difficult to not believe in an afterlife.  How to deal with this?  (I need to go to an AMF meeting.)

This... this is what happens whenever I decide I am not obligated to work for the rest of the night that I am home and awake alone.  There.  Possibly one of my most stream-of-consciousness ramble of a post to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment