Thursday, November 5, 2009

I need to stop cussing.

This is the excuse I've always had in my head:

"The Bible never said that I shouldn't cuss.  It just said I shouldn't say the Lord's name in vain.  I try to abstain from oh-my-God-ing, I never say the d-word, and I stay away from saying 'hell' as an expletive.  But the f-word or the s-word, though vulgar, do not directly offend God.  So I don't mind using them frequently."

I know that it's stupid to categorize cuss words as "God-offending" and "not God-offending" because if I project a vulgar image, then I offend God as a self-labeled representative of Christ.  But I project a vulgar image, all for fun, in ways other than using the aforementioned words.  So does that mean I have to stop all of it?

Does the Bible say anything about vulgar language in general?  Somebody please show it to me?

2 comments:

  1. i listen to plenty of music with cursing (gangsta rap, yo!) and don't usually feel qualms. but i absolutely cannot stand it when people around me curse, especially those close to me. :/

    in any case, because i have such an opinion about this topic, here you go:

    most effectively:
    ephesians 5:4. "nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving."

    colossians 3:8. slander and filthy language... i think they're pretty straightforward.

    ephesians 4:29,31. i think unwholesome talk not only goes into keeping language clean but also unprovacative.

    and so many times it tells us to speak to others in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. (ephesians 5:19). to keep our conversation full of grace (colossians 4:6)


    for out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. (luke 6:45)


    http://www.memoryverses.org/ref8.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I really like that last verse (from Luke).

    And I should work on this too. --;;

    ReplyDelete