One of those things about English expressions I learned in the first several months in the U. S.: to hope vs. to wish. To wish for something indicates a more unrealistic desire than to hope for something.
I would like for it to be eighty degrees outside.
I would like to be surrounded by trees, weighed down by foliage that looks black in the dark.
Cue crickets and those rattle-like bug noises.
I want to be in shorts and a T-shirt. Tan, freshly shaven, and muscular.
Then I want to run to a clearing where countless stars shine --- stars that are stationary, high up in the navy sky, and stars that are
Yellower than they should be, greener than they should be, flickering, glimmering, much closer than they should be. Small enough to fit in a plastic salad container.
But not for last summer's sake. Not for old times' sake.
... For these wintry, barren nights' sake. Where the stars twinkle prettier than ever but the cold doesn't allow for roaming and frolicking outside...
Come to think of it, on my last birthday I attempted something like this. I almost got my considerate companion frostbitten. This year, I won't even have that crazy person near me. Oh wait, I'd better remind myself to not compare any future birthdays to my last one. Ah, words cannot describe the blessings.
Sunday, January 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment