You know, on a nice crisp mid-autumn day, you walk into Borders Cafe, and all of a sudden you see wreaths and red-and-green gift boxes and hear "Santa Baby" playing. Then the next morning in homeroom I'd complain about impatient holiday marketing tactics and how they are devaluing true Christmastime because it's not even Thanksgiving yet.
So....... Where are the eggnog lattes?! The pretty ornaments?? Holiday music?? Reindeer? Lights? Ribbons? Holiday sale e-newsletters? WHYYY do they still have pumpkin spice drinks and fall leafy things out??
As you can see, I'm a little anxious for Christmastime to get here this year.
On the other hand, another mental calendar is flipping by too quickly: the academic calendar ahhhh. It's always backwards, always backwards. What you want for to go by quickly goes slowly, and vise versa.
But I've learned the value of slow things. Life as a whole is so fast, so short, so I should appreciate the things that seem slow. Slow food. Slow motion. Slow dance. Slow(/gradual) weight loss. See? All so nice. I'll try to savor this slow arrival of Christmastime, too... Because I'll never again be a 19-year-old counting down the days til this long-waited-for Christmas. What a blessing it is to have something to be so excited for!
Meanwhile, this quotation should put me back on the right track:
Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at hand. - Thomas Carlyle
No comments:
Post a Comment