Saturday, November 10, 2012

Béla Fleck & The Marcus Roberts Trio

Last night, saw Béla Fleck in concert for the first time, and for five bucks!  He was pretty darn good as expected, but who I found really magical was Marcus Roberts.  It took me about two tunes in to realize he was blind -- duh, why would anybody play the piano with sunglasses on indoors?  The way he filled the silent hall with his solo in "That Ragtime Feeling"!  He transported me from Hodgson Hall and the surrounding people to an enchanting old-time world that he saw in his mind.  That solo was like a scene out of an inspiring movie... I almost shed a tear, haha.  It was an indescribable experience.

And the way, in another tune, Béla Fleck and Marcus Roberts diverged to this parallel-melody poly-rhythm multi-solo thing, stayed there so delicately yet fittingly, and then magically converged back to the head.  That, that blew my mind.  I had not heard of Marcus Roberts before this concert; now I'm a fan for life!

On a side note, this is -- hallelujah -- the first time in over a month that I am in "chillin'" in Athens for a whole weekend.  How sweet it is.  Although I have a **** ton to do, I took advantage of getting up whenever I wanted this morning and cooking myself an awesome breakfast.  Made hash browns from scratch for the first time, and it turned out unbelievably good!  This will be a regular breakfast item.

It was the perfect balance of crispy and soft... I want another plate

No comments:

Post a Comment