"And he said, 'It's not you, it's me...'" I remember the very first time I heard that phrase. In some TV show or movie. Probably in middle school. I had to think a bit about what it meant and came to a conclusion along the lines of, "Oh I get it. What a catchy way to say something."
Little did I know that I would use that phrase many times without ever saying the exact words, and that others would say that to me as well. Little did I know just what a downer it is when you have to be in one of those situations.
----------------
On a completely unrelated note, today I got a summer internship offer to work in Colorado. Unfortunately it will be an office job, but geology-related, of course. Just the thought of having my own place and living in Denver for a whole summer makes me willing to do almost anything! (Colorado is my favorite state I've ever been to.) In a way this is kind of an unbelievable dream-come-true. The only thing is, for whatever reason, I had strong reservations about applying for the position for much of the process. But now, after talking to my would-be boss, the position actually sounds cool and worthwhile. I want to make sure before accepting that I am not primarily driven by the pay. Have an honest heart-to-heart with myself. I don't think I am. But such a dramatic change in my attitude makes me want to double-check.
Getting offered a real internship with a real (huge) company for the first time does make me feel great. But I have to remember to be thankful and not take credit for myself. I've been given an incredible amount of support from my family and school, and I wouldn't be able to do anything without them. (And I would like to thank my manager, and my husband who is watching at home...) Also, God is trying to do something cool with my life, and I am faithful in that. More importantly, I need to focus on grad school applications. I think I have successfully cleared away all obstacles -- petty drama, overwhelming schoolwork, summer applications (!), excessive social activities -- now I've got no excuse!
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
LOLOL @ "And I would like to thank my manager, and my husband who is watching at home..."
ReplyDeleteHUUUGE CONGRATS on getting the internship though! I so appreciate your faith. Really need to channel that right now as I'm beginning to flip out about post-grad plans...